POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The Daily WTF [again] : Re: The Daily WTF [again] Server Time
10 Jun 2024 09:19:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Daily WTF [again]
From: Orchid XP v7
Date: 11 Feb 2008 16:16:24
Message: <47b0bb28@news.povray.org>
Gail Shaw wrote:

>> ...and *this* is why Micro$oft is allowed to exist. >_<
>
> Any just about every other software company in existance. It's not unique to
> MS.

I beg to differ.

Before M$ came along, buying software was like buying any other product;
people *expected* it to work properly. And if it didn't, it was taken
back to the shop. Companies that regularly produced poor quality junk
didn't stay around for very long.

After M$, it became somehow "OK" for software to not actually work
properly. If M$ can be credited with one original invention, this is it.
They've somehow made it "acceptable" for software to not really work
properly. Year after year, they churn out semi-functional bloatware, and
yet everybody keeps buying it. And it doesn't quite work properly, but
people think this is somehow "normal".

This is probably why people have such a hard time convincing their
bosses that bad code should be replaced; bosses [and everybody else]
*expect* software to not quite work properly any more. It's somehow
acceptable now...

> In fact, through dealings with MS's tech support and a lot of vender's
> tech support, I've found that the people at MS care more. Far too many
> software venders have the attitude "You bought it, now its your problem"

The company I work for isn't nearly big enough for *any* tech support
people to speak to us, so I couldn't comment...

>> Sure, users don't care about pretty code. I'm sure if you
>> asked them though, they care rather a lot about *reliable* code...
>
> They'll probably say they will, but offer, for the same price, a piece of
> software with 10 features that's fairly reliable and a piece of software
> with 4 features that's very reliable and see which they'll choose to buy.
>
> I'll be you anything, 80%+ will go for the one with more features,
> rationalising that it can do more.

The people who write the cheques? Or the people who have to *use* the
software? They aren't the same people. ;-)

[But no, I won't bet any actual money, because then I'd loose. No matter
what I bet on, I loose. I even bet on the chemical symbol for tin - a
value that cannot ever change - and *still* lost!]

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/